Tuesday 16 August 2016

Master of Puppets

I am so thankful that my work schedule has allowed me to work condensed days this summer while the minions attend day camp three days a week.  This has provided me with a bonus of two additional days to enjoy alongside them. I'm pleased that we've remained fairly diligent of spending 20 minutes each day to work on printing letters, tracing shapes, working on our reading and counting skills.

Some of our weekdays together I've really planned out with trips to new parks for playground reviews, exciting crafts, and playdates alongside friends, others I'm slowly letting them guide.  This is particularly challenging for me and my "uber planning" nature, but I'm really trying to embrace it.

Last week in the midst of another heat wave in Toronto (not that I'm complaining, seriously) I didn't want the kids to spend too much time outside.  When I asked Molly what she wanted to do that day she yelled, "PUPPETS!!!" at the top of her lungs.  Huh?  "I want to make puppets and they're going to be amazing!"  So we did.

After our breakfast and printing time we went over to the grocery store in pursuit of paper bags. When we returned home we gathered up all of the art supplies that we felt would make for awesome puppets and got to work while we had a snack.


The beginning of Jack's "Jack in the box" puppet

We made a queen, we made a princess, we made a kitty cat, and we made a Jack in the box and we did it together.  While we happily played with our proud creations I couldn't help but think of the overused parental expressions, "only boring people get bored" and smiled because Molly and Jack are getting so creative.  I also thought of all of the "school related skills" that puppet making works on including building fine motor skills.

Sticker preparation for fine motor skills



As the rain continues to hit this week, or if you need an easy activity on a hot and sweaty afternoon, consider puppets.  Later this week we're going to try our hand at a game of Snakes and Ladders that the kids received for their birthdays.  If only I could figure out a way to make these lazy days of summer last just a little bit longer.


Yes, the Queen's party dress has festive balloons on it.  
To read an article I wrote for another site on games that encourage learning to enhance your child's summer learning click here.


To get access to the newest posts from Multiple Momstrosity and more on Facebook click here and follow today

Follow 
Multiple Momstrosity on Twitter @Sarabethbug

No comments:

Post a Comment