Thursday 17 September 2015

It's My Party

It's my birthday today and I was debating writing a reflective post about all of the changes in my life over the past year, because there have been a lot, especially lately, but then I decided this wasn't an exercise that I wanted to practice, not today.  Once we become adults, birthdays don't have the same celebratory flair as they once did when we were kids.  Sure there's cake and maybe a glass of champagne, but the excitement and glee of turning say 37, isn't the same as turning four or maybe so I thought.

One of the many gifts my children have provided me, particularly in recent years, is an infectious and contagious excitement about birthdays. The sheer pleasure they get from celebrating anything to do with the people that they care about is amazing.  Whether it's the way they belt out Happy Birthday over the phone, completely convinced that the person on the other end of the line should be able to see them, how Molly insisted on buying me a blue dress for Mother's Day this year, so I could be more like Cinderella or the time they both picked out a greeting card that has a running vacuum on it when you opened it up....said card almost immediately made it from my hands into their toy collection.


Last night I gladly assisted in baking my own birthday cupcakes, alongside my two trusty helpers, who giggled hysterically when cracking the eggs and tried to lick the batter spoon when I wasn't looking.  Tonight we will adorn the cupcakes with frosting and press on Smarties that Chris picked up with Jack for purely "decorative" purposes.  I can't think of a better way to celebrate, the sushi dinner and glass of wine we have planned while Grandma and Grandpa babysit doesn't hurt either.

How Molly and Jack enjoy the moment has allowed me to decide not to reflect or look forward today, but to just enjoy this birthday alongside my wonderful family.

To get access to the newest posts from Multiple Momstrosity and more on Facebook click here and follow today!

Follow Multiple Momstrosity on Twitter @Sarabethbug

No comments:

Post a Comment