Monday 22 June 2015

Dinosaurs Will Die

Although this isn't a movie that we attended with the minions, I know that kids love dinosaurs and parents may be wondering if they should take their kids.  As a grade nine student the year Jurassic Park came out , my friend P. and I lined up for hours and still ended up sitting in front of each other at the theatre because it was so crowded.  20 years later it was time to go back to Jurassic Park.

Movie Review Jurassic World

Jurassic World Poster courtesy of Wikipedia.

What's in it for the Kids?
Older kids who like dinosaurs will love this movie, but full disclosure I didn't see a single person under 20 at this 6:30PM viewing.  It contains the classics you love and grew up with (T-Rex, Raptors, Gallimimus) as well as some pretty cool new predators (Indominus Rex and Mosasaurs).


What's in it for the Adults?
Nostalgia aside, there are some great effects and chase scenes to enjoy.  If you can keep your suspension of disbelief in check (For example: don't think about what parent in their right minds would send their children to this park or what morons would continue to finance this endeavour?) and you'll enjoy it.

Best Parts of the Movie
I would say that as a huge fan of everything shark week, the introduction of the Mosasaurs, a water dino, was a huge highlight for me.  Jake Johnson (of New Girl fame) was a bright spot in the movie who provided comic relief throughout the film.  SPOILER ALERT: True to the original movie, bad guys get their comeuppance care of your favourite carnivores. The scenes with the Pteranodon reinforced my irrational dislike of birds.

Worst Parts of the Movie
I love Chris Pratt and the idea of a velociraptor Trainor who respects the Raptor as an animal, but Chris Pratt is not Han Solo no matter how great of a vest you put on him.  The director y tried to make him into a character that he didn't have the smarmy swagger to pull off.  You don't get the same level of suspense as you did with Malcolm/Jeff Goldbloom and the shaking water glass from the first movie, but you will get to see an enjoyable dino experience. There was a somewhat over-the-top ending that seemed a little thrown together (even I couldn't suspend my disbelief that for that!).

Overall Rating
I would rate this movie 4/5.  I would probably allow a 10 or 11 year old Molly or Jack to see this movie, depending on their fear tolerance (it's pretty violent and scary all things considered) while Chris said that he'd try to get them to wait until they were 12 or 13 being well aware that they'd probably watch it at a friend's house before then.  I'd suggest thinking pretty hard about what scares your kids before you introduce the kids to Jurassic World to gauge the fear level and whether or not it's likely to cause some nightmares.  For the adults I'd argue that it's worth seeing this movie in a campy "I love dinosaurs" summer blockbuster kinda way. See it in theatres to get the full dino experience!

To read my review of the 2015 Cinderella click here.

To read my review of Maleficent click here.

To read my review of Saving Mr. Banks click here.

To get access to the newest posts from Multiple Momstrosity and more on Facebook click here and follow today!

No comments:

Post a Comment