Wednesday 8 April 2015

Revolution (Resolution) - A Review Part 1

It's official...we're now a quarter of the way into 2015 and it's time for me to check in (and own up) to how I'm doing on my resolutions so far.

Use my writing to help inspire more memories with Molly and Jack including monthly one on one "dates" with the minions
Okay, first off I have only had one date with a minion (Molly) where we went to see Cinderella, which I wrote a review for here.  I learned after two months with no date days that I need to schedule time (usually vacation time) to ensure I actually get a date day with my kids.  Jack's first date day is scheduled for later this month.  I was able to use my writing to create some food inspired movie memories while we watched Mary Poppins, Allow us to explore some local Toronto Green Houses (Allen Gardens and Centennial) to beat the bad weather and make storybook inspired Pinkalicious Cupcakes.

Read More in 2015 (Goal of 30 books total), Including at least 5 Classics that I've never read Before.

I read 7 books so far this year, including one classic.  Again, if anyone has any book recommendations I would love to hear them!

Landline by Rainbow Rowell - A little bit Back to the Future a little bit Christmas Carol.  The characters are all still quite likable, but the plot was predictable.  I wish I had read this holiday themed book in December when I was feeling a little more festive and less dull days of January.

breakfast at tiffany's movie poster, breakfast at tiffany's book review
Image courtesy of Wikipedia.


Breakfast at Tiffanys by Truman Capote  - The fact that this book is only 86 pages long (and really more of a novella) makes it all the more laughable when I think of that Seinfeld Episode when George desperately seeks the movie as a cheat instead of reading the book.  An enjoyable classic that was a quick read.  Capote's Holly has a more tragic fate and is far less likable than Audrey Hepburn's interpretation, which made her into a lovable icon.   I do not regret reading this classic.

Yes Please by Amy Poehler- An enjoyable yet somewhat A side bio, where Poehler discusses writing process and coming to terms with her evolving role as a mom/career woman workhorse.  As much as I like Amy and adore Leslie Knope this book confirmed me on team Tina Fey if there ever was a Ladies of SNL war.

How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran- When I started reading this I instantly knew that I wanted Dolly Wilde to be 16 year old "me's" new best friend.  This confirms that over 20 years later, I'm still making poor choices for my teenage self.  This bio-fiction book is a great read and a fantastic message on everything I loved and hated from my youth at the same time.  Sit through cringe worthy newby mistakes with a fresh sense of humour as Dolly learns that a lot of the time it's better to be yourself than fake it until you make it.  (this has also inspired me to add Moran's How to Be a Woman to my reading list)

Wild by Cheryl Strayed - The brutally honest journal of a screw up as she attempts to hike the Pacific Coast Trail to get over her mother's death.  Insightful and worth reading, even though you want to yell at the character to smarten up as you read. This book has inspired me to research some sort of a (less hardcore) several day to week long hike to add to my bucket list.

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell- I have always believed that our instinct or gut reactions are the rare instances when  humans momentarily utilize the other untapped 90% of our brains.  This book was about the theory behind it and I devoured it in less than four days. It also re-kindled my love of micro expressions and the tv show Lie to Me.  Gladwell fans will not be disappointed.

The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion- This fairly light comedic book not going to change your life, but is an easy and entertaining read.  Although I still loved Don and the regular cast of misfits I found my warm feelings for character Rosie vastly diminished based on her Katherine Heiglesque Knocked Up behaviour in the book.

Get better at Promoting my Writing and get Published in Seven New Places This Year.
In February my list about Growing up in Etobicoke was published on BlogTO, a site that boasts over 2.1 million visitors each month - my biggest audience yet!  While I continue to try to put myself out there, and I have something else "in the works".  This is my only new publication this year so far, I have something in the works presently, but it isn't quite out there yet!  Again, if anyone knows any websites, blogs or magazines where my writing would be a good fit, please let me know.


To view my full list of 2015 resolutions click here.

To see how I did with my 2014 resolutions (and more mini book reviews) click here.

To get access to the newest posts from Multiple Momstrosity and more on Facebook click here and follow today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment