Wednesday 25 March 2015

Sing Sweet Nightengale - Movie Review Cinderella 2015

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to have a monthly one on one mom/minion date with one child (alternating months). That didn't transpire in January or February, so I decided to book a vacation day to ensure my first date really happened.  My first date was with Molly and consisted of breakfast with my sister, some quiet time, and the main attraction: taking Molly to her first movie in a movie theatre, Disney's 2015 release, Cinderella.

Movie Review Cinderella


cinderella 2015 movie poster, cinderella 2015 movie review
Image Courtesy of Wikipedia

What's in it for the Kids?
A story that they know and love but in a live action format.  I'd argue that this movie is for slightly older kids.  Molly was the youngest child in the theatre by about two years.

What's in it for the Adults?
The costumes are amazing, I particularly loved the stepmother's wardrobe.  The increased focus on the stepmother and her ambitions as a social climber created a little bit of grey in the usual black and white World of Disney that I appreciated, particularly as someone who grew up with this as a favourite childhood story.

Best Parts of the Movie
The props, the costumes and the underlying message of, "Be Kind and Be Brave" repeated throughout.  Despite ample critique about perceived anti-feminist aspects, I was satisfied with this overall smart and modern(ish) messaging - for a fairytale.  Molly particularly liked one of the few lighter moments featuring Helena Bonham Carter as the Fairy God Mother who even provided commentary on the comfort level of glass slippers.  The transition of animals and pumpkins into coaches and coachmen was fantastically magical.  I'd say the two best performances went to Cate Blanchett and Helena Bonham Carter who brought both roles to a new level.

Worst Parts of the Movie
This movie felt heavy and a little long.  Some of the darkness could be attributed to the void of the usual trademark Disney music.

Overall Rating
I would rate this movie 3.5/5.  Molly enjoyed it, but there was no way that Jack would likely ever sit through this movie.  It didn't have all of the magic that I was looking for and I'd say that Molly felt the same way.  When asked, she says she liked it, but when we asked if she wanted us to purchase a copy when it comes out on DVD, she declined.  I would say this movie is made for die hard fans (and older kids) who are seeking a little more background on the characters and their motivations.

To read my review of Maleficent click here.

To read my review of Saving Mr. Banks click here.

To get access to the newest posts from Multiple Momstrosity and more on Facebook click here and follow today!

No comments:

Post a Comment