Monday 7 July 2014

A Question of Time

Earlier this year I posted my New Years Resolutions (nitty gritty details here).  I don't think I've ever followed resolutions this far into the year, but it's definitely kept me honest.   This is my mid-year Resolution Check In:

Read More Books for Me
In 2013 I only read 10 books for pleasure.  So far this year I've read eight books which puts me on pace to read 16 this year.

Here's what I've read lately along with my mini reviews:

Sacre Blue by Christopher Moore
There is an evil "blue" monster tormenting famous and infamous tortured artists in Europe.  Entertaining moments, but nothing new.  I fought to finish this - this is not one of Moore's best.

I Wear the Black Hat: Grappling with Villains (Real and Imagined) by Chuck Klosterman
What if DC didn't create Batman and he was a real person in New York City?  How would people react?  Why do we love to hate certain bands?  Klosterman explores villains, imaginary and real, in his classic essay style all while grappling with the inner villain inside.  A great read, couldn't put it down and read it in two days.

David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants by Malcolm Gladwell
Why, How and When does the underdog win?  This lightly academic read is an interesting and entertaining take on human nature and the ability to find the perfect storm needed for the "Davids" to gain the upper hand.

Girl Boss by Sophia Amorusa
What was the secret of  Nasty Gal Sophia Amorusa's success? This mostly bio, part inspirational book was an entertaining perspective from Sophia's shoplifting to CEO life.   Is it going to give you insight that will shatter all other business advice? No, not really, but it's a quick entertaining read that can inspire on the virtues of finding your passions and rolling up your sleeves for a little hard work.


Night Out Circa Summer 2012


Have More Date Nights With Chris:
I'd have to say that this has been an epic fail lately and Chris and I really need to make more "us" time - we've focused our babysitter time on social activities and completely ignored the couple activities.  Thankfully with the nice weather we have managed some time out in the backyard together when the kids are in bed.  I have booked a babysitter for a one on one date night next weekend.

Read more stories to Molly and Jack
Reading has taken a bit of a back seat as we'd rather have more time out in the evening playing than an extra story, but we still manage to get in 1-3 stories most nights.   Last night after reading the same story for what seems like the hundredth time, I've determined it's time to go out and get some new favourites onto our bookshelves.  We may want to make it a birthday gift priority for the kids next month because when Chris and I get bored we don't want to read to the kids as much.

Be Less Strict with Toddler TV Time
We've incorporated a family movie night on Sundays where we let the kids watch about half of a movie before story time to give them a little more screen time.  We have also made exceptions when they're sick or the weather is crummy.  We've been alternating picks to keep things fair, especially since Jack selects Frozen  almost every single time.  Molly's favourite movie is Cinderella followed by Peter Pan.

Book More Time For Me
It's so easy to get stuck in the martyr trap as parents.  I am a better parent to Molly and Jack and a better wife when I make more time for me.  I have found myself increasingly frustrated the past two or three weeks when work or other obligations have had me on solo shifts more than usual.  This coupled with Jack who's been particularly stubborn, disobedient and up in the middle of the night of regularly has not been a good combination.  I have managed two massages in the past two months (although one was completely medical after I pulled my back).  I have my next brunch date booked for the 20th and will try to book some more time for me before I'm ready to snap.


How did you do on your New Years Resolutions?

To read my three month check in and mini book reviews click here

Want Multiple Momstrosity updates on Facebook click here

I have been nominated for Voiceboks 2014 Multiple Parenting Blog Awards - If you have a moment to spare: Click Here Now and cast your vote for Multiple Momstrosity #27, it's the little heart icon that pops up in the top right hand corner that registers a vote NOT clicking on the photo.  If you follow any of the other blogs or enjoy them like say HDYDI (#21) you can vote for them too - you can vote for up to five different blogs daily.


No comments:

Post a Comment