Thursday 13 March 2014

When Irish Eyes are Smiling

I have always loved St. Paddy's Day, I can't quite explain it.  Maybe it's because it's the Super Bowl of drinking holidays that somehow marks that winter is coming to an end.  It's a chance to drink Guinness, maybe sit on a (heated) patio and pretend I'm more Irish than my pseudo Irish maiden name.  One of the first times that I really felt like I was missing out on having a drink was the St. Paddy's Day when I was four and a half months pregnant with the minions.  It was one of those rare days when I wasn't throwing up in a snow bank and I really felt like I was missing out.

Celebrating Everything March and Irish
Image Courtesy of Wikipedia

Here are 5 Things (mostly) worth celebrating as we await the spring equinox:

  1. The Return of McDonald's Shamrock Shake - Finding a location that carries it on March 17th is an adventure in itself...This minty treat has been around since 1970!
  2. Pi Day - Since 2009, March 14th commemorates everyones favourite mathematical constant Pi. Next year Pi Day will have special significance on 3/14/15 at 9:26:53 a.m. and p.m., with the date and time representing the first 10 digits of Pi.  Enjoy a slice for me because I don't like pie or most pastry for that matter - I'm not joking.  Tomorrow we are celebrating my mother's birthday and she unknowingly requested Pie for dessert on Pie day, which will make it really hard to find.  Since she spent the majority of my life making me a special serving of pie filling in a dessert bowl without dreaded pastry, I guess I owe it to her to fight the nerds of Toronto in search of apple pie.  If all else fails she's getting chocolate cake.*
  3. Root Beer Floats - This is what I drank on St. Paddy's Day 2011 when I was expecting.  It wasn't quite the same, but it was a fine substitution.
  4. Male Valentines Day - Apparently some radio DJ created this day to help celebrate what men really wanted for Valentines Day: steak and satisfaction.  Various meat retailers are offering coupons should you choose to participate, or just really want a nice T-Bone before you enjoy your Pi Day dessert.
  5. It's Maple Syrup Season - That's right "Tap into Spring" for an outdoor activity and demonstrations on everything maple.  Most Festivals run from early March to Early April.  For Ontario syrup events listings visit here 


Want Multiple Momstrosity updates on Facebook click here

*Take that Pi Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment