Wednesday 30 October 2013

Achtung Baby - Everything ADHD - Part 3 (Conclusion)

October is Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder ADHD Awareness Month. In order to help promote awareness and education to parents, teachers, caregivers or anyone touched by ADHD Jaime-Lynne is providing some much needed information.

This is Part Three of a Three Part Series: To read Part One Click Here, To read Part Two Click Here





 Jaime-Lynne & T

What's the craziest thing you've ever been told about ADHD, weirdest thing anyone has said to you?

Not many people try and tell me things about it because I've done my research and I end up schooling them on the topic.  But if I had to choose one thing it would be that I caused ADHD and that if I had done things differently when I was pregnant that he wouldn't have it.  I was 20 years old when I was pregnant with T, so EVERYONE had an opinion about that they were happy to share.

What have you learned from this that has made you a better parent?

That you can have multiple children with the exact same influences, same environment, same EVERYTHING and yet they will be so different from each other. Also that the ADHD isn't the hardest thing about parenting at all.

How has ADHD challenged you most in your identity as a mother?

The greatest challenge would be feeling like a failure and a horrible mother, and sometimes the feelings you have toward your child aren't ones you want to feel, but you have to let yourself feel them.   You just need to be prepared to never let your child know when you're having one of those moments or feel what you are.   Then you need to accept them and move on.

What is your biggest success as a mother?

Success is seeing them grow and learn and develop regardless of the roadblocks they face. T had made so much progress in art, drawing and writing in such a short period of time.  It shows that all of the effort and frustrations are worth it (most of the time).


How do you cope with the most challenging days?

By taking breaks when I can, whether it's one on one time with our three year old when my older two are at school or on weekends when I try to disappear for just a little bit, until they come looking for me. 
Do you have any resource recommendations for those who want to find out more?
Taking Charge of ADHD is a great book.   Another great resource is http://www.chadd.org/

1 comment:

  1. My standing desk made a enormous difference. Another game-changing moment was switching to using the Ink for all tool.

    ReplyDelete