Tuesday 27 August 2013

The Whole World is Our Playground: Review Neshama Playground/Oriole Park

When I first started investigating local playgrounds this one was highlighted as the mecca of the new world order of everything monkey bar centric.  Our sitter A. raves about how great this uptown playground is, so we decided to check it out.  This playground is an innovative masterpiece.

My park review disclaimer: If you don't live in the area I hope you enjoy the pics and can use some of the ideas to inspire and explore in your own city. If you have any recommendations for great playgrounds (or new criteria I haven't thought of) please post a comment on this post or email me.

Park Name:
Neshama Playground/Oriole Park
Location:
Chaplain Crescent (Near Davisville and Yonge)

Parking:
There is plentiful parking along Chaplain by the park.  The playground is a five minute walk from Davisville Subway Station. 

Theme of Park:
Everyone has the right to play without limitations.

Ground Coverage:
Pressed rubber, rubberized wood chips surrounded by green park land.

Variety of Equipment for different ages:
This park has playground equipment for all ages. For the little kids it has a small structure and set of slides, a variety of infant and toddler swings as well as a splash pad that was made with the toddler in mind. The Splash Pad is open this year from June 28 - September 1st.  For the older kids there is wall climbing based equipment, slides, bridges and a good variety of other distractions.  Most of the children around the play area ranged from two to eight years old.

  Molly enjoying the lily pad water station

Best Part(s) of the Park:
This playground features something for everyone including wheelchair accessible equipment, signs and learning in braille and wheelchair accessible washrooms.  This park has unique items I've never seen anywhere else. (shown below)

 Giant chimes and mallets 

 Spider Web spinner (go round)


Flying saucer swing

Downfalls:
Because there is so much to do some parents of older kids did their own things (i.e. ignored their kids and they played on their iPhones).  This meant that when a six year old thought it would be fun to karate kick water from the splash pad fountain in Jack's face, repeatedly, his father was 500 yards away and didn't notice.  Note to self: dirty looks will not discourage a rowdy six year old.  I had to restrain myself from disciplining someone else's kid* because his dad was too busy playing Angry birds.

Overall Rating:
I rate this playground a 4/5  and I struggled with this rating because based on equipment alone it justifies a 4.5 or a 5 however the community at the park just doesn't feel the same as it does at Dufferin Grove and besides I had to bring my own snacks!

To read my review of Jeff Healey Playground click here

To read my review of Marie Curtis Playground click here

To read my review of Dufferin Grove Playground click here

Want Multiple Momstrosity updates on Facebook click here

*Thankfully he got bored of splashing Jack before I had to jump into the fountain myself and implement playground justice.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharingSuch an amazing blog post the content is far good about Park equipment for children . Worth reading your blog. Keep sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing interesting post. I really liked theme park and outdoor playground. I found very useful as well as interesting about playground. I will come back read more...
    outdoor playground equipment

    ReplyDelete