Friday 14 June 2013

Father & Son

Parenthood has ups and downs.  There are great days and there are really, really bad days.  This is the second part of my Father's Day series celebrating the good, the bad and the ugly about parenthood.  I hope you enjoy what these fathers had to say as much as I did.


What's the worst part of being a dad?

 "The crying. Completely stresses me out. Crying in the car. Crying when they are legitimately hurt is even worse. Not being able to take their pain away is horrible."  - Mike, Father to two toddler daughters

"Knowing they will grow up." -Jake, father to two child daughters
"I miss having the chance to be alone."  - Ben, father to infant son

"The ‘hurts’ to your kids and, by extension, to their families. You feel the hurt with them but, in most instances now that they are grown, you can only be supportive while he or she deals with a hurt on their own.  Fortunately, there haven’t been a lot of hurts." - My Dad - Father to three grown children, four grandchildren

Sarabeth says: I guess Clark Griswold had something right, nothing seems to beat quality time with your kids.
Fondest Memory 
"Family time/outings/vacations together. Especially enjoyed being involved with Scouts & Venturers – had both kids in Venturers together. Tons of fun for 'Jungle Jim'" - - My father-in-law - Father to two grown children, five grandchildren


Dad and Miss Molly
SaraBeth says: When my first long term relationship ended at 20 my ex-boyfriend had a significantly more emotional goodbye with my father than with me.  I've run into him a few times over the past decade and a half and each time I see him  the second words out of his mouth (after hello Sara) are "How's your dad?"  Awkward!

Who is your fatherhood role model?

"My fatherhood role model is my mom. She raised me and taught me everything I know. Particularly how to respect women."  - Mike, Father to two toddler daughters

"My Dad of course…didn’t miss a single hockey or soccer game or practice in 11 years I played...that is caring." -Jake, father to two child daughters

"My father... he taught me everything. And if everything goes wrong, I'm going to blame him!"
Chris, Father of infant daughter


SaraBeth says: I love (and it drives me insane) that my dad is always trying to "help".  Who else is going to remind me to put steering fluid in my car, get an oil change or leave me messages about gas prices going up?  Who else would have his daughter put her boyfriend to shame because she knew how to change a tire and he didn't?*

What is your favourite memory with your own father?

"From a young age, my Dad was always great about taking my brother and I on camping trips. And we're not talking about "pull your car up and plug in a cooler" sort of trips, but full on, week long backwoods trips. I learned more from these trips, both about inter-personal relationships (think Lord of The Flies) and nature, than I ever did in school. I appreciate how hard it must have been to wrangle us, especially when we were younger, but I want him to know it was totally worth it."  - Ben, father to infant son

"Time at the hockey rink." Darcy, father to infant daughter

"Growing up, whenever my dad and I went to baseball games we were equals.  In my early thirties we started going to regular baseball games together again.  There's something to be said about cheering for something together to help reconnect, even if the only talking is screaming 'Kill the Ump!'"  -Chris (my husband), Father to infant toddlers Molly & Jack

Sarabeth says: It seems like being the "ideal" dad isn't about being perfect it's about trying hard, even if you look silly or fail in the process.

Who is the best TV dad? 

"Ozzie Nelson." - My father-in-law - Father to two grown children, five grandchildren

"On TV, fathers are too cardboard for me to choose who were best and worst. Even Archie Bunker and Al Bundy had their “best” moments."  - My Dad - Father to three grown children, four grandchildren

"Steve Martin in Father of the Bride.  That movie makes me cry." Chris, Father of infant daughter

"Phil Dunphy from Modern Family."  Darcy, father to infant daughter


Who is worst TV dad?

"Peter Griffin Family Guy."  - Mike, Father to two toddler daughters

"Any single father from the TV series Mad Men.  Apparently fatherhood in the 1960's was about drunken debauchery, womanising and ignoring your children.  Thank goodness we were raised in the 1970's!"  -Chris (my husband), Father to infant toddlers Molly & Jack


Want Multiple Momstrosity updates on Facebook click here?

*I swear my relationship with my dad goes beyond car maintenance.  I make him sound like a good mechanic here rather than my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment