Monday 11 March 2013

No Woman, No Cry

When Chris and I first started dating, nearly a decade ago, we reminisced about how much we loved the 1990's.  In a time of early relationship hibernation we spent a lot of time cuddled up on a couch watching endless marathons of television series, spending every waking moment learning EVERYTHING about the other person - and eating take-out, at restaurants and fully embracing all other date food related ceremonies.*

One weekend we decided that it would be a good idea to revisit the television series My So Called Life.  We both agreed that it was a great show and we couldn't believe that it got cancelled after only one season.  That winter we learned something important.  Some things don't age well and and some paths should not be traveled EVER again.  The sad fact was, that show was never good.  Angela Chase cried about everything, each episode without fail as she watched the idiots around her spin. "Jordan why can't you read? Boo hoo.", "Rayanne, why do you drink too much?  It makes me so sad!", "Dad, why are you having an affair, Wahhhhh!", "Ricky, I'm sad because it's hard for you being gay.....sob, sob, sob." and "Brian Krakow, why won't you realize that I don't even like you....sniff, sniff."  You get the picture - it was ridiculous.**

To be an accurate portrayal of the movie, Clare Danes really should be crying...Image Courtesy of Wikipedia

I think Chris and I made it through the entire season, or at least most of it, but only because it was like a car accident and we couldn't look away.  My friend and her husband also tried to go back and watch My So Called Life earlier this winter.  They barely made it through the first episode.  Their lack of dedication is a shame, because by enduring an entire season of My So Called Life it makes it that much more pleasurable to watch Jared Leto get his ass kicked in Fight Club.***  If you watch an interview with Jared Leto about his band 30 Seconds to Mars before watching Fight Club it will double your pleasure in the infamous beat down scene.

On Friday night, at around 8:30 I was loading the dishwasher and Chris came into the kitchen from running laundry.  He asked me if I noticed anything strange about the evening, I shrugged. "Molly didn't cry once today." he said.  I recounted in my head, daycare pick-up, grocery shopping, dinner, play time, bath time, story time and even our goodnight.  No tears.  It was possible.  We felt victorious.  A day without baby drama is in the cards and we didn't even know it.  Little did we know that it was the calm before yet another epic no sleep, lots of scream, tear laden weekend.  Only this time the part of Angela Chase would be played by a male lead, our son Jack.



*I know everyone talks about the freshman 15, but what they're too scared to talk about is the serious relationship 20.
**And I'm out of crying descriptors.
***Spoiler alert, Jared Leto gets his faced punched in during the movie Fight Club.  I'm sorry if I've ruined a movie for anyone who's put off watching it for 14 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment