Molly & Jack helping to sort ornaments
First we purchased miniature (twin) trees from Walmart, ones that are small enough that they can't crush a small child or cat that a small child is terrorising. Next we tested to see which ornaments were breakable, swallow able, potentially toxic or potentially hurty - anything with those wire hooks was moved up super high. Whenever we were unsure, our friend T simply handed the ornament in question to one of the minions and said, "Give this a whirl, see if you can break or choke on this" while we supervised. Some stores are selling non smashable ornaments this year (or maybe this is just the first time we noticed). These sound appealing, but don't get too excited. The ones we saw were pretty ugly. For your information: Jingle bells = chokable. Also, the jury is still out on what's toxic, only time will tell.
Our breakable ornaments have been hung from the top of our living room window this year.
Molly's first attempt at knocking down the tree / choking on ornaments.
*Visions of broken ornaments danced around their heads.
**This means no smashy, smashy of cherished favourites or trips to the emergency room because someone decided to shove a glass icicle up his sister's nose.***I can go to Bath and Body Works and get a candle that will supply my Christmas smell needs.